Friday, September 20, 2013

Tomorrow= One Year

I am reflecting today as tomorrow I will Celebrate.



Jeremiah 29:11 Says, "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. "On September 21, 2012 I wasn't sure I really sure I trusted His plan. My very normal morning of being a stay at home mom of three amazing boys, Malachi, Titus, and Josiah turned into a morning that seemed more like a day in Hell.

We had just been home a week fromTitus' 3rd open heart surgery, when that morning something just did not seem right with him. I called Mike to come home so we could take him to the dr. In the 10min it took Mike to get home Titus became limp, we took Titus to the ER, on the way I kept talking to him, with his eyes rolling to the back of his head I was doing all I could to keep him awake. From the door to the ER bed Titus became unresponsive, I remember looking down the hallway seeing medical personal flood the room and with each one all I could say was "He's not responding please save him!" There were two ladies that walked in at different times and with each one of them God gave me this sense of peace, Their hugs were warm and comforting but I could still see the concern in their eyes as they worked and did all they could. I ran out of the ER pacing the hallways looking for my sister, my legs were like jelly ready to calaps under me. I ran back to the ER still to see Mike praying and the medical team working on Titus, giving him oxygen, taking x-rays and doing all they could to stabilize him. Our son was dying and all we could do was pray for him, "God he is in your hands."

After what seemed like forever the team was able to sedate, intubate and drain over a liter of fluid from Titus' chest cavity.

When the air flight team arrived I heard Mike from the other room " Wait! You're Titus' nurse" The head nurse of the flight team was Titus' nurse 2yrs ago for one of his other Heart Surgeries. Then I felt a little more peace knowing she knew him.

~John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Mike( because I am a baby and don't fly well at all) and Titus were airlifted to Children's Hospital of Omaha, while my sister and mom drove me. James 5:13 Is any one of you happy? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

I know Prayers work and that God has healed Titus through prayers So I called out my prayer warriors to do the praying that I wasn't sure I could do at the time, Mike was my praying rock.

It felt like this nightmare was never going to end, watching the numbers on Titus' monitor drop, then go up, than drop again, this little boy was fighting for his life, and prayer was all I could do for him.

Titus stayed in the Pediatric ICU for a week before moving to a regular patient room. When Titus was moved to his "regular room" Mike and I noticed Titus was not using his arms like he should and he wasn't able to sit up or hold his head up. The results of a CAT Scan showed Titus had suffered some brain damage and they were not sure it would be healed. I again was a wreck, I knew things would be hard for Titus when we found out about his heart defect through a pre-natal ultrasound, but had no clue it would be this bad. I was not willing to accept the idea of my son not being able to sit up, crawl or walk. So I pushed for therapy, if we had no clue when we were going home and all we were doing was waiting for the healing of the duct causing the drainage, than we were going to do something with our time there. Twice a day Titus had physical and occupational therapy.

3weeks went by Mike and I taking shifts going back and forth, Mike being home during the week watching Malachi and Josiah and I with Titus, and our families helping anyway they could. One of the days Mike and I were able to be home together, Mike's mom being with Titus we got a call from Titus' Dr. saying they ran some tests and found a blood clot near Titus' heart, "can you come back now" Again I called my prayer warriors and we rushed back in time to meet him back in the PICU, they were going to try a med first in hopes it would dissolve the clot and Titus would not need to have the surgery. So we again waited and prayed.

The next morning we were informed the medicine did not work and they would do the surgery right away. Again we had to watch our son suffer more pain and fight for his life. But God gave his surgeon a passion and a gift of healing and Titus did great. We found out later that day that our surgeon was suppose to leave on vacation with his family that morning and decided to stay and operate on Titus, he was willing to sacrifice time with his family so that we could have more time with ours. God does provide.

Titus was in the hospital for 3months. He was there for Halloween, Thanksgiving and his 3rd Birthday all of which we celebrated together. We worked with his therapy practicing sitting, walking, crawling and throwing pennies in the river, we put many miles on walking back and forth to pt and back and then around his floor. Titus had some of the best nurses a mommy could ask for. There would be days Titus would have his "favorite nurse" and it almost didn't matter that I was there. We still stay connected with most of them.



The week after Thanksgiving we were advised that Titus have another surgery to correct the duct that was causing all of his chest drainage, I again was torn with what to do, I wanted so badly to be home but yet I did not want Titus to go through the pain if this was not going to work. But they did the surgery and Titus again was a trooper and did great.

While at the hospital I was determined to make the best of the crummy situation we were in. When the weather was warm Titus and I would have picnics on the patio, we would go to the carnivals the hospital hosted, played play dough, ride bike, go to movies, went "trick or treating", we sang songs, watched the helicopter and fire trucks come in and go out, and even decorated his room with pictures sent from our families and community. The nurses and doctors showered Titus with candy, and presents when it was a holiday or even on his Birthday, we were able to have a party for him. Not a week went by that Titus wouldn't have, a grandma/ grandpa, cousin, or aunt/uncle or a visitor, we always knew Titus was being prayed for and we were being taken care of.

Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

December 5, 2012 I woke up to the best phone call ever. "mom, I come home with you! I'm getting better!" That day we got to go home. It was like a party, I was beaming with joy and as grateful as we are for the place we had to stay I was more than thrilled to hand in my room key!

It was so bittersweet for everyone a moment we all had been waiting for, this time if felt more like a dream rather than a nightmare, something we had been praying for so long is now finally happening. It was like a parade leaving the floor Titus in his wagon full of balloons, his blanket, monkey, his backpack and lunch to go, Titus did his Dutch wave to each nurse, dr. and nurse practitioner, he swapped hugs and kisses. I remember the nurse helping me get Titus in the van and all we could say was Oh my, I can't believe this is finally happening. We waved and home we went.

As I reflect on that day, all I can think is thank you Lord for Saving him, for healing him in the ways he is healed and for his continued healing. Today he is not only holding his head up high, he is moving from walking with a walker to a cane, he is able to crawl up and down stairs, he is in preschool with the rest of his 3yr old friends, he is still mentally charming, and witty. Titus bring joy to our house and family that we are not yet ready to let go of. Life for Titus is has changed and is a challenge many days but his spirit is beating out all of these obstacles that he face. This coming December in stead of wondering if we will be home for Christmas we will be welcoming a new baby brother/sister to the family and Titus is very excited.
Thank you Lord for your protective favor of Titus and our family during this trial, please protect the many families that are in the hospital for was ever reason either fighting their own battle or praying a loved on through, Bless them, give them peace and most of all healing.
 Amen









 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment