Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whats the Difference?

Does it really make a difference? I was having a conversation about a week ago with a friend and she was sharing on one of her blogs about her baby, she was saying that some people just say stupid things about her baby being of a mixed race, she is expecting a baby due this summer and chances are that her baby will be a mixed black and white, she had friends talking about dressing the baby in "black" clothes, or how they were excited her baby was going to be black. Since that conversation I have felt heavy hearted on wondering, really what is the difference. See I have a beautiful niece and she is mixed black and white, and I Love her when I look at her I see her as Keyah my niece not as my colored niece when I look at her I look at her beautiful eyes that sparkle back at me, her hair, its so curly that when its put in a thick head band it reminds me of Whoopie Goldberg. and her wonderful Loving personality that is quiet and innocent and she is so full of Love and Life, she sends me some of the best cards in the mail, she loves to draw and color, and play dolls and barbies. When I look at my niece I don't look at her as a colored person I look at her as my niece she is my family and I love her.
So why do I bring this up? For years society has put some kind of divider between Caucasian, African Americans, Hispanics, Koreans, Chinese, and Africans, but why is it that we continue with this trend. It bothers me that we spend years in school taking history classes so that we are aware of what was done so history doesn't repeat itself but it still does.
God made us all to be different from one another from our eyes, to our hair, from our skin to our toes there is something different in all of us there is no exact same person. But yet why do we let our skin color affect the way we treat each other?
I grew up learning the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and in that song it says "red and yellow, black and white, they are PRECIOUS in his sight." also I have read and been taught that we need to love others the way we love Jesus, and if we all love Jesus the way we say we do then we should be blinded from the differences of each other.
What really is the difference? I am so happy for my friend I know that no matter what her baby looks like coming out she if going to love it and she is going to be a wonderful mother, this is a long time coming for her, she has years of experience baby sitting and nannying and has not once hesitated to love the children as if they were her own and now with one of her own on the way I know that she is going to have a love for this child that he has yet to experience.

Oh Lord, I ask that you would break the barrier between whites and blacks in our countries, Lord I am asking you to show your Grace and Mercy to your people and guide us to do the right thing, guard us from the secular world and from seeing the same as they do, protect our eyes from what we shouldn't be seeing and open out eyes to things that are still unseen, break our hearts from this that I know breaks your heart. Lord please, please show us how to love in the way you love us.
your child, ~amanda joy~

No comments:

Post a Comment